Veggie Hashbrowns with Avocado on Toast
Using a variety of veggies to help you reach 5 serves a day, these veggie hash browns by Karen Stafford are packed with a range of nutrients, plus it’s a great recipe to get the kids involved.
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 cups of vegetables of your choice, such as 1/2 cup red capsicum, de-seeded and diced/or 1/2 cup corn kernels, parboiled/or 1/2 cup carrot, grated/or 1/2 cup baby spinach, shredded
- Sliced avocado, to serve
- 8 slices of wholegrain toast, to serve
- To make the fritter base, combine the flour, eggs, milk, cheese, onion, parsley, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add 2 cups of different coloured vegetables to the base mixture and stir to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick fry pan. Add 1/4 cup of fritter mixture to the pan at a time, allowing room for the fritters to spread.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat. Flip and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until fritters are lightly browned and cooked through.
- Serve with wholegrain toast and sliced avocado.
- Use up leftover veggies so they don’t go to waste. Check the fridge for wilted veggies or use leftover bits and pieces from last night’s dinner.
- Fritters can be prepared ahead of time and enjoyed all week. They can also be frozen.
- Combining the fritters with wholegrain toast and avocado gives you a well-balanced brekkie with protein, good quality carbohydrates and healthy fats for a nutritious kick start to the day.