Tofu, Noodle and Vegetable Stir Fry
Stir fry is the ultimate fast food that can be made at home to deliver all the nutritional goods. As flexible as it is fabulous.
- 400g firm tofu
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced into wedges
- 1 large red capsicum, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced into strips
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 180g soba noodles
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- To prepare the tofu, squeeze out any excess moisture from the tofu block using a clean tea towel. Cut the tofu into cubes and place in a bowl. Dust with cornflour and season with cracked black pepper.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of sesame oil in a large non-stick frypan over a medium heat.
- Add the prepared tofu and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly golden all over. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside until needed.
- Heat the remaining ½ tablespoon of sesame oil in the same non-stick frypan over a medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped coriander stalks, sliced brown onion, thinly sliced red capsicum, julienned carrot, thinly sliced zucchini and small broccoli florets to the pan. Cook until softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the soba noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and rinse well with cold water and drain again.
- To make the sauce, combine the crushed garlic, finely grated ginger, finely chopped chilli, lime juice, salt reduced soy sauce, honey and hot water in a small bowl. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Add the cooked tofu, drained soba noodles and the prepared sauce to the vegetables in the pan and mix well to combine. Stir through the coriander.
- To serve, divide the tofu, vegetable and noodle stir fry among four bowls.
- Adapt this recipe to suit your preferences – replace the tofu with another lean protein source such as chicken breast, beef strips or prawns. Replace the soba noodles with steamed rice.
- Mix up the vegetables used in this recipe to include what you have available and what’s in season – snow peas, green beans, cauliflower and leafy greens would also work well.
- If possible, choose broccoli grown locally in the Darling Downs.