Created for the Healthy Kids Menu program for food venues, this is a simple, fun way to present hommus with vegetable sticks. Kept fairly plain, it will appeal to most kids. Consider halving the recipe ingredients for a smaller batch.
- 2 x 400gm tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 150gm tahini
- 80ml lemon juice
- 120ml cold water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3mm sticks
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 3mm sticks
- 1 continental cucumber, seeds removed, cut into 3mm sticks
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 3mm sticks
- 20 stuffed olives
- Blend chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, water, paprika and salt in a food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until cold.
- Spoon about 80gm of hommus into a large ramekin and poke the vegetable sticks in to create the echidna’s ‘spikes’. Use 2 stuffed olives per serve as eyes!
- Look for low or no salt tinned chickpeas to limit sodium levels.