‘Fully Loaded’ (with veggies) Spaghetti Bolognese
Created for the Healthy Kids Menu program for food venues, this recipe has lots of finely grated or diced vegetables and is cooked until barely noticeable. A great way to turn a kids’ favourite into a sneakily healthy dinner.
- 500gm beef mince
- 15ml vegetable or olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced or grated
- 2 medium zucchinis, grated
- 400g pumpkin, grated
- 100gm mushrooms, grated
- 100gm tomato paste
- 1 x 400gm tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 500gm spaghetti
- 200gm grated cheddar
- In a large heavy based pan fry the onion, garlic, carrot and celery in the oil until soft and the onion is translucent.
- Add the mince and fry until cooked and beginning to colour.
- Add the tomato paste and fry, stirring constantly for a couple of minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, pumpkin, mushrooms and zucchini and reduce the heat to very low.
- Simmer very slowly for 1.5 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally and topping up with water as necessary to stop the Bolognaise from drying out.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Serve one tenth of the pasta (approx. 100gm) with one tenth of the Bolognese (approx. 100gm) and 20gm of grated cheese.
- Consider freezing half the batch or halving the recipe ingredients for a smaller batch.
- Dragon colouring credits, Aluna Bennie Golinski.