Chicken and Avocado Soft Tacos
Created for the Healthy Kids Menu program for food venues, these tacos are versatile, yum and incorporate all five food groups. Consider halving the recipe ingredients for a smaller batch.
- 20 x 15cm soft tortillas
- 500gm roasted, shredded chicken breast
- 1 x 400gm tin red kidney beans, drained, rinsed and crushed
- 1 baby cos lettuce, shredded
- 2 avocados, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 30ml lemon juice
- 15ml olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 100gm grated cheddar
- 100ml light sour cream
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm in the oven or lightly grill them on a BBQ or grill pan before serving.
- Gently mix together the diced avocado, tomato, lemon juice and olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Lay out the tortillas and spread each with a heaped teaspoon of crushed beans, then a pinch of lettuce and chicken, a spoonful of the avocado and tomato salsa, a teaspoon of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Serve while the tortillas are still warm.
- Roasted, shredded chicken breast can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 -2 days or in the freezer for 3 – 4 months.
- If possible, choose vegetables grown locally to you.