Banana and Blueberry Loaf
A delicious treat that’s good for you? You bet. Tuck into this banana and blueberry loaf for a dose of healthy and happy.
- 2 ¼ cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup pure vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine the wholemeal self-raising flour, bi-carb soda and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, pure vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and mashed bananas.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and lightly smooth the surface. Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool the loaf in the tin for approximately 5 – 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store the loaf in an airtight container for up to 3 days or store slices of the loaf in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Mix up the berries used in this recipe to include what you have available and what’s in season – fresh or frozen raspberries or diced strawberries would also work well.
- This recipe could also be made into muffins – perfect for a snack on the go.
- If possible, choose bananas grown locally in north Queensland.